<$BlogRSDURL$>







Sunday, August 01, 2004

Red Curry Beef and Vegetables 

Okay... so this one goes on the "quick and easy main dish" category, but ESC hasn't figured that out yet. We'll deal with that later.

Ingredients:
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 red pepper
  • (other asundry vegetables you like... i.e. onion, thinly sliced potato, etc.)
  • 1 package "rice sticks" or rice noodles
  • red curry paste
  • 1 can (no, I don't know what size!) coconut milk (lite or regular)
  • 1 steak (approx. 1 lb., sirloin, flank, whatever... something to soak up flavor)
  • oil (I like extra virgin olive oil... why?...because (as I explained to my housemate) I'm extra virgin! Seriously, it has a very light fresh taste to it, which doesn't compete with other flavors. And it's good for you too!)

Instructions:

  1. Heat 1-2 T. of oil in LARGE skillet or wok on medium high heat.
  2. Put a pot of water on to boil.
  3. Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces (about 1 inch square).
  4. Cook vegetables in oil until tender and onion is slightly clearish.
  5. Remove vegetables to bowl.
  6. Slice meat thinly (think stirfry strips, bite-size). Add to hot pan and brown.
  7. Add 1 tsp-2 T. curry paste (a little goes a long way... I like it hot, and 2 T is almost too hot!). Stir with meat til meat is coated.
  8. Add vegetables to meat. add coconut milk. Bring to boil, then turn down to simmer. Simmer 5 minutes.
  9. Turn heat off of curry mix and allow to "rest". The sauce will thicken a bit.
  10. Once water has come to boil, turn off. Put rice noodles in hot water for 10 minutes to soften. Drain noodles and place service size portion on plate(s).
  11. Serve curry over rice noodles.

I don't use any seasoning other than the curry paste in this, because the flavor is so strong, you don't want to compete with it. I have seen recipes that use basil or chicken stock in the curry as well, which sounds good. I generally have to add salt or garlic salt to my own portion, to taste -- you could do this to the whole dish, but my rule of thumb is to let people add salt to THEIR taste.


|