<$BlogRSDURL$>







Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Thyme zucchini fritters 

Sylvana sent this to me. She originally published it at her gardening site here. So if you grow your own veggies...great! But if you're like me, buy them from the store. But I do have fresh thyme. Hooray!






In a medium sized bowl beat together two eggs into a
scant cup of flour. When this is mixed thoroughly,
sprinkle baking powder over the top of the batter,
just enough to dust it. Mix this in as well. Mix in
enough milk so that the batter will just barely run
from your mixing utensil. This is about 1/4-1/3 cup.
Mix in about 2-3 teaspoons of dried thyme. You can
also use fresh if you were lucky enough to remember to
grow it this year. Salt and pepper to your taste.

Get one of those green bad-boys from your garden. Wash
it if you want. I don't. I like to innoculate my
immune system on a regular basis to prepare for
bio-warfare. Cut the ends off, and start grating. I
think I used about two cups. They suggested to grate
it over a paper towel to remove some of the moisture.
That's a really good idea, especially since you will
be frying these. I use Viva. It's the best towel on
the market! Mix the grated zucchini into the batter.

You need a frying pan and some oil. I use a cast iron
skillet. I love the way that cast iron cooks food. It
just adds something extra to the food that I can't
explain. It makes pancakes and hashbrowns perfectly.
And it comes in handy as a weapon if your dog is
broke.

I splurge on extra virgin olive oil. You only live
once! Use a couple of tablespoons.

Heat the pan first on medium heat. I learned years ago
that the key to non-stick (save for those cancer
causing teflon thingies) is cold oil on a hot pan. I
don't really know if this is true, but what the hell.
Do it anyway.

Once the oil is heated enough, scoop some of the
batter into the pan and spread out slightly. You can
put a couple of these in the pan at a time. I got
three in at a time. Fry each side until they are
golden brown and there is no more raw batter coming
out the sides.

I served these warm with real mayonaise. I did try
them with Miracle Whip too, and that was good as well.
I would have made my own garlic mayonaise, but I was
way too eager to try these while they were still warm
and I hadn't thought to make it ahead of time.

|